top of page

Elcon's Phase II Application was submitted on 3/2/17.  To view the application, click on the link below:

ELCON is applying for permits to build a liquid hazardous waste thermal oxidizer (EPA defines it as a type of incinerator) in the Keystone Industrial Port Complex in Falls Township. They are planning to boil down hazardous liquids and toxic waste water, including pharma waste and heavy metals, into toxic sludge and salts. They have already been approved for Phase I and have officially submitted their application for Phase II permits with the PA Department of Environmental Protection (PA DEP).

Current ACTION

- Elcon Hazardous Waste Plant

- PennEast Pipe Line

- Fracking Del. River Basin

Illustration by C.F.

Effects on Health & Air Quality


  • More than 10,000 children attend school within 4 miles of this proposed toxic waste facility. Families live here, breathe the air and drink the water from the river.

  • According to the Clean Air Council, the plant could adversely affect the air quality within a 30 mile radius. Bucks County already has the third worst air quality in Pennsylvania! Despite this, ELCON plans to burn more than a million pounds per day of toxic waste using thermal oxidation (incinerator). ELCON has proposed to import 420,000,000 pounds of chemical hazardous waste per year!

  • ELCON claims that 99.9% of the waste will not be released into the air. However, the remaining 0.1% still adds up to a lot of toxins that will be released into our air. Of the 150,000-210,000 tons of waste they will process every year, a minimum of 150-210 tons (or 300,000 to 420,000 pounds) of poison will go into our air annually. Once released, these toxins can travel up to a 30 mile radius, adversely affecting people with existing asthma, COPD, emphysema, heart and lung conditions, compromised immune systems, and contributing to any number of issues in otherwise healthy people.


  • The facility would be located less than half a mile from the Delaware River, which is the primary source of drinking water for millions of people. The wetlands on site are hydrologically connected to Biles Creek and to the Delaware River, so even accidents on land would leech toxins directly into the river, having a catastrophic effect on the environment and our drinking water.

  • Philadelphia Water Department ran a computer model and found a spill at the proposed site would be “catastrophic”, and Philadelphia is 15 miles away. Due to the tides, the spill would impact drinking, bathing, cooking and all water supply for millions of people. (Citizens impacted by the Elk River spill in Charleston, West Virginia were given a "Do Not Use" order by the governor, which was in effect for over one month after the spill. Two years later, their water is still testing positive for the chemicals 4-Methylcyclohexanemethanol and propylene glycol phenyl ether.)

Effects on Our Water Source


  • ELCON has only one existing facility in the world. It is in Israel. They have been cited with numerous violations. They have a history of violating ground water and air emissions limits.

  • The proposed facility in Falls Township would be using different and unproven technology.

  • 17 - 25 truckloads of hazardous waste will be brought past schools and residential neighborhoods en route to the facility. Hazardous waste will come from ten states: MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA and NC.

  • On February 23rd, ELCON stated that the cleanup from any truck accidents will be the responsibility of the trucking company. Basically, ELCON takes no monetary or physical responsibility when there's an accident in transit.


Effects on Our Community
bottom of page